Why You Should Visit Italy in the Winter
When we think of vacation, our minds are often drawn to warmer temperatures, clear water, and beautiful weather as we picture relaxing on a beach somewhere. However, warm beaches only comprise so much of the planet; if you want to travel and truly explore places in the best way possible, open yourself up to the idea of traveling during less favorable seasons; yes, that includes winter.
One such country that’s worth visiting in the colder months is Italy. Although the winters in the North can be a bit brutal, there are numerous things to do and see all throughout the country while it’s chilly outside. Here are just a few of the advantages of visiting the Bel Paese.
- You’ll be able to enjoy less busy tourist areas.
- Italy is home to some of the most beautiful and historic sites and treasures in the world, which typically means it’s difficult to appreciate them all amongst the usual crowds that come to gaze upon them. However, in the winter months, when tourism is down, all of the museums and sites are still open just without the crowds and noise. Visit Vatican City in peace, behold Michaelangelo’s David and the breathtaking Sistine Chapel, and stop by the Uffizi Gallery in Florence to witness some remarkable works of art firsthand.
- Visiting in the off-season means you can take advantage of incredible sales.
- If fashion is one of your passions in life, you need to take advantage of the incredible sales that occur throughout most of the country. From the beginning of the year through the end of February, boutiques across the country lower their prices, causing a wave of fashionistas to storm the doors in search of a bargain. Find pieces from Gucci, Prada, Armani, Versace, and countless others at boutiques in cities like Milan, Rome, Florence, and Venice.
- You can do more for less.
- Have you seen those incredible resorts and villas available for rent online that you always thought were out of your price range? Your destination dreams could come true thanks to the incredible deals and savings you can find during the winter. Many hospitality establishments reduce their prices during these months meaning you can have a luxury vacation at a price you can afford.
- If it’s too cold, head south.
- While Italy is stunning in the winter, the North can, again, be a bit brutal for the unprepared. If your Italian vacation is a bit too chilly for your tastes, try heading south to the Southern part of the country. Sicily is the warmest part of the region, which makes it the perfect place to take advantage of the beautiful villas and residences in the area. Rome and Naples also have the mildest climates during the winter of all of the major cities, so they might better suit your liking as well.